With 35 years of experience as an independent school teacher and administrator, Peter Gow has written and presented
on a wide array of topics and worked with schools to improve all aspects of their educational programming, including
Curriculum and assessment design for meaningful, in-depth learning
• Collaborative classroom project
design for great learning experiences
• Professional development for individual and institutional
• Recruiting, hiring, and training effective, satisfied teachers
Building and sustaining rich and rewarding professional culture
• The role of technology in teaching
• Educational strategic thinking
A self-proclaimed "education junkie" who grew up in a boarding school family of teachers, Peter
is a regular contributor to Independent School magazine and the author of
- What Is A School? A Philosophical and Practical Guide for Independent School Leaders, Trustees, and Friends (Publish Green,
in press for September 2011);
- Messaging and Branding: A How-To Guide with Carol
Cheney (National Association of Independent Schools, 2010);
- The Intentional
Teacher: Forging a Great Career in the Independent School Classroom (Avocus Publishing, 2009);
- and An Admirable Faculty: Recruiting, Hiring, Training, and Retaining the Best Independent School Teachers (National
Association of Independent Schools, 2005).
Peter's writing has appeared in Education Week, the Harvard
Education Letter, and Teachers College Record, and he has been quoted on NPR and in the Wall Street
Journal, the Los Angeles Times, the Christian Science Monitor, and USA Today.
Contact Peter Gow to arrange speaking engagements or to discuss how he can work with your school to help you fulfill your unique educational
UPDATE JUST IN!!
THE INTENTIONAL TEACHER: FORGING A GREAT CAREER IN THE INDEPENDENT SCHOOL CLASSROOM IS NOW AVAILABLE
IN A KINDLE EDITION! The ultimate professional development resource for independent school educators at any
stage of their career, from job-hunting through retirement. The Intentional Teacher features a lifetime's
worth of great ideas on teaching, student development, professionalism, and leadership. Order your Kindle edition or a hardcopy
copy today from Amazon.com. Don't miss out on The Intentional Teacher!